What is the Board of Directors?
There are 10 volunteer directors who manage the operations of the community association. We meet about 8 to 10 times per year to work on a variety of projects to improve the quality of life in our neighbourhood.
What experience do I need?
No experience required, just a desire to volunteer and give back to your community.
What’s the time commitment?
We usually meet on the second Monday of each month in the evening for about 60-90 minutes. (We actually don’t meet every single month, summer we meet informally) Beyond that, your time commitment will depend on what you want to put into it. Most directors volunteer an average of 2-3 hours per month over the course of the year. Directors serve for a 2-year term.
What do the directors do?
We ask each director to pick at least one thing that you can do to contribute to the community. For example:
- Organize an event, like the annual garage sale or movie night
- Help with the rink maintenance at Bandmaster Park
- Manage our membership list
- Deliver flyers or help build signs to advertise activities
- Communications, including web site design, social media, etc.
- Advocacy / municipal issues (safety, development, parks, nature, etc.)
- Serve in an leadership role – president, vice-president, treasurer, secretary
- Or pick a specific issue or project that you want to spearhead in the community, and bring it forward to our group.
What are the meetings like? Do I have to attend every meeting?
We hate boring meetings! We conduct the meetings formerly with an agenda, a chair, etc. but we try to move them along quickly. You don’t have to attend every meeting, we just ask you to do your best to attend each one. We understand that people get busy with jobs, kids, etc.We’re a friendly bunch and try to work towards a consensus. Meetings usually consist of various board members providing updates on what they’re working on. We vote on motions for major decisions including financial matters. Sometimes we have guest speakers like local businesses, developers and elected officials.
Our meetings are not for complaining or arguing – we work constructively and respectfully together.
How do I join?
Directors are selected at our Annual General Meeting in February/March. Sometimes a director has to step down in the middle of the year due to career or family commitments, so from time to time there are openings during the year.
Need more info?
If you’d like to join our board or directors, or if you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org